February 26, 2010

What a Language!


If I had to say only one thing about the English language, I would say it is "absorbent". After we all have already degusted noums turning into verbs - like the glorious email, "I emailed you yesterday", fax, "Fax me this, pelase", and google (derived from the word googol, - a number represented in base-ten by a one with a hundred zeroes after it. The name was coined in 1938 by Milton Sirotta, the nine-year-old nephew of American mathematician, Edward Kasner), "You have to google this".

In my way to work this morning, listening to the radio, I was surprised when the reporter said "Which ones (hotels) will be NAMAed?", meaning which hotels would be choosen by NAMA to shutdown their activities due under performance.

You know, NAMA is the National Asset Management Agency (NAMA), which will operate as an independent commercial entity under the aegis of the National Treasury Management Agency here in Ireland...

No comments: